Monday, September 21, 2009

Things are not as they seem!

So you saw this picture and you said to yourself, this post has to be about sex. I mean a train heading into a tunnel! But it's not. It's about politics. Talk about really getting fucked.

You see I was coming home on the train today and I didn't have a book like I usually do. I always grab a book and put it in my bag to read on the ride home. Even if I just read a little and doze the rest of the way at least my mind is occupied. But I was off kilter today because we stayed up really late planning our buying trip this week and our trip to the land of fruits and nuts. So I just forgot.

Now when I am on the train all of these people have these fancy Ipods and what not and some of them even have computers. Me all I have is this AM/FM radio that I bought for about twelve dollars from Amazon. It was the cheapest one they have because you see it gets beat up all the time. I lost the back panel and I have already gone through about ten pairs of head phones. They get a tangled and get caught on stuff and rip and what not. But it is perfectly adequate for me. I can listen to sports talk or if I am bored with the topics I put on the WCBS FM and listen to oldies. Which is what I did today.

Now I change trains at Jamaica which is the main change spot on the LIRR. I switch to the Brooklyn train which runs down Atlantic Avenue which to me is just about the heart of Brooklyn. It starts out in a tunnel then goes up into an overpass out in the air and then back down into a tunnel till it hits Flatbush Avenue. When you are listening to the radio you get great reception when you are outside but when you are in the tunnel all you get is garbled noise where you understand two out of five words. Now if you are listening to the oldies station you know the songs by heart so you are singing along cause you know all the words. And you know it struck me. Listening to music in the tunnel is just like politics man.

You know all the words but it is getting all staticy and garbled and you don't want to listen to it anymore. It's the same song you have heard a million times before but it's just annoying to listen to now. It's time to shut off the noise and doze for a while. Turn it back on when we come out into the sun. Cause the train will always do that. It always comes out into the sun. We just have to wait.

Then we can enjoy the music.

6 comments:

ricpic said...

As I was saying about Nixon...

Jeez, I gotta get a life.

Too much posting.

Bye.

Anonymous said...

Nice analogy.

blake said...

The tunnel doesn't do it deliberately.

chickelit said...

Carve a tunnel of hope through the dark mountain of disappointment.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more
tunnel
.
-John Quinton

Light at the end of the tunnel? We don't even have a tunnel; we don't even know where the tunnel is.
-LBJ

The light at the end of the tunnel is just the light of an oncoming train.
-Robert Lowell

ricpic said...

Apropos of nothing in particular: when I was a kid and my dad wanted to show off his sophistication he would take the family out to eat at a French restaurant called Pierre Au Tunnel. It was located, like so many French bistros back in that day, in the West 40's, just west of 8th Avenue. I suppose it was called Au Tunnel because of the proximity of the Lincoln Tunnel. Anyway, I remember being thrilled with the European sophistication of the place. This boiled down to the fact that whenever we went to eat there we had to pass through a bar at the front of the joint in order to get to the dining area in the back, and the bar always had a few members of New York's French expat "community" standing around talking...French! Totally exotic to a kid.

Penny said...

Whoa I had one heck of a New York moment back in the 80's trying to find my way back to my hotel via Times Square at 3am from Pierre Au Tunnel. I forgot the name of the restaurant until I saw it here.

I still get a chill thinking about that night. Let's just say that I was eventually "joined" in my walk by someone who said he had just gotten out of jail for robbing people.