Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hey BIg Boy where the hell is Bob?

I never made it to Bob's Big Boy and although we saw a lot of In and Out Burgers, our distributor took us to this joint for lunch. It's called the "Farmers Boy" and it has a set up which is kind of weird for a New Yorker. You go up to the counter and order the fast food stuff you want. They take your order and you pay. Then the give you a plastic number tag and go to your table and put it in a card holder and later a little Mexican guy brings you your food. So it is sort of half fast food joint and half restaurant. When I gave the kid a tip he looked at me like I had two heads. I guess nobody tips. I didn't get this set up.

The next day we went to a similar joint called the "Corner Bakery" that had the same set up. Only they had a lot of soups and salads. Same Mexicans though.

The section of town where the textile joints are is very Mexican. Actually in the Farmers Boy we were the only non Mexicans we saw. All the street signs are in Spanish and pretty much everyone you saw was Hispanic. They had a whole bunch of flower shops across the street so it must be the flower district too.

Some of the people we met had a lot to say about that. But in New York there are many ethnic enclaves like Flushing Queens where every sign is in Chinese. Maybe because I am the grandson of immigrants this doesn't shake me up so much.

Oh speaking of shakes. The shakes at this joint sucked. Just sayn'

7 comments:

Peter V. Bella said...

You did not know about Mexifornia?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Peter, really, get with the program.

It's "Aztlán."

Peter V. Bella said...

This land is your land, this land is Aztlan, from Mexifornia to Cancun Island...

Jason (the commenter) said...

Why is the "I" in big capitalized? Is BIg slang for something? I'm intrigued. Who is this BIg Boy and when can I meet/meat him?

Bushman of the Kohlrabi said...

Hey, you gonna eat those fries?

blake said...

I've never even heard of "Farmer's Boy" or "Corner Bakery".

Actually, our Carl's down here will sometimes do the same scheme: Order and someone brings the food.

Hell, Sizzler's does that! (Low end steak joint.)