Monday, September 7, 2009

Closing time!


When we were in the mall on Saturday it closed at 6pm. Now I understand that it has to close but when I went back to the Subway shop with my granddaughter at a quarter to six the kids working there had already cleaned up and said they were closed. I don't know if that is the way you want to do business you know. I mean the pizza place stayed open to the official closing time. I must say the pizza sucked hard but it was one of the few stands that stayed open to the official closing time.

Back in Brooklyn we are always the last ones in to order food. I can't tell you how many times they have cooked us food while they are putting the chairs on top of the tables or the staff is having their meal at the end of the day.


I think the closing time issue alone is enough for us to not want to be in a mall and have a free standing joint in a smaller strip mall development. At least in hard core suburbia.

I guess we are just city mice and don't understand why you have to roll up the sidewalk before 8pm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I close my restaurant at 10:00. Every night the crew asks me if we're going to close early. They're optimists. Every night I tell them "No." If people are pouring in after we close, we continue to serve them. The crew knows not to turn away business. A couple of weeks ago, we caught the football crowd after the game and served people until 10:30. I work too hard to get people to walk through my doors, just to shut the door in their faces when they do come.

My town has all of 3,500 people and we don't close until 10:00, which is three hours after the DOT is through rolling up the streets. Maybe it's different when you're in a mall. My guess is that a manager, not the owner, allowed those kids to make that call. Poor choice.

Penny said...

Not sure this has anything to do with mall shop or city shop. I think it's more about the owner being present or not. There are way too few who will treat your business as their own. If you expand, I hope you find one of those people.

Unknown said...

Wow. Whoever heard of a mall closing as early as six.

Trooper York said...

It might have been because it was the Sunday of Labor day weekend, so I am not making any final judgement on that.

What was really weird was that some of the boutiques in the smaller mall closed at 5pm. Actually all of them closed at 5pm. The hours listed where 10am to 5pm.