Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hey Jude......thank you




Michael Haz made another stellar comment that deserves to be front paged.

St. Jude is often catagorized as the patron saint of Lost Causes but he is also the patron saint of hope which is how I see him. I pray for his intercession every Sunday and light a candle in the hope he will the sick members of our family and that he will help us do the right thing.  Michael tells a story that needs to told:


Michael Haz said...
Seeing some blog posts reliving what happened [number] of years ago today reminds me of two women I know.

Story One: Richelle and her husband Greg were our next-yard neighbors. Typical suburban couple; Greg had a pretty good job that enabled Richelle to stay home and raise their two sons. Although in her forties, Richelle often told us that the highlight of her life was the night she was homecoming queen at her small high school in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

She just couldn't seem to let go of it. Eventually, she used the internet to track down her date from that evening, a high-school boyfriend whom she hadn't seen in two decades. They exchanged emails, then texts, then phone calls. Then she told her husband that she wanted half of everything they owned, he could keep custody of their sons, and she was going to move in with the old boyfriend. Divorce.

The old boyfriend moved to where we live and they rented an apartment, then bought a house. Her kids hated the guy. We met him and he was a total ass. They both began drinking heavily. She went into rehab; he moved back to where he came from. She followed him, had another bout of alcoholism, and another session of inpatient rehab. Their lives are a total mess.

Sometimes believing that nothing will ever be better than one night two decades ago turns into a guarantee that it, in fact, never will.

Or sometimes not, which brings me to Story Two:

Jen (not her real name because she's a twitter friend and others here will be able to identify her) is single and forty. We attend the same church; she is an utterly lovely woman. She radiates happiness.

Jen has never been married, although she has had several relationships that ended badly. She thought that perhaps the time to find a husband passed by.

Four years ago Jane decided to give up everything she was doing and put her future in God's hands. She had a truly spiritual awakening. She stopped going to bars, stopped chasing men, even became celibate. She became fully involved in re-building her inner life.

She got rid of most of her possessions, and moved into a smaller apartment. Paid off all her debts, worked two jobs, exercised, etc. And prayed several times every day, without fail.

Two years ago Jen "met" a man via twitter who had a similar story. Nate was single, had been in failed relationships, etc., and had pretty much given up on dating. He put his energy into completing grad school and working. And yes, Nate also had a spiritual awakening. He, too, put everything into God's hands.

They chatted and emailed for more than a year before finally meeting. They fell in love instantly. Not wanting to make a mistake, they went slowly, and saw each other every two or three months (they live several states apart).

Six months ago they decided that they were intended for each other. they both looked for jobs in a city where they thought they'd like to live. Both finally found jobs!

Jen gave me a big hug after Mass today. She's moving away Tuesday to that new city; Nate moved there last week.

I've seen them together when Nate came here to visit Jen. A more happy, loving and wonderful couple would be hard to find.

Jen doesn't believe that a particular day one year ago or one decade or even farther back ago was her best day. She believes that tomorrow will be the best day, always.

The past is gone; we cannot hold it. All we have is now and tomorrow, God willing.



I am dealing with a lot of people who have no religion every day. In fact they despise religion and religious people. I try not to hate them. I try not to scorn them. I ask St. Jude to help understand them and show them a better way by my poor example.

I just want to be humble and hope that in some small way I can do something that at least makes them think.

But I will really need St. Jude's help.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I said in the other thread, from the sordid to the sublime. Maybe I should become Catholic.

windbag said...

Faith is faith. I stopped arguing religion with non-believers years ago. You can't argue people into belief.

Michael's story is rich material to spin off in a hundred different angles. Good stuff.

windbag said...

We're all catholic, even though we aren't Catholic.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

That is a very good post. Michael's stories have a lot of layers to them.

I do not argue faith. I have mine. I look at it this way...what works for you may not work for me. Which goes back to that Penn Jillette clip Crack had about tolerance often being condescension and true respect being honest disagreement.

I am pretty sure about this, a relationship is not going to work until both partners are pretty secure about themselves. When that happens they can be secure together. Obviously there are plenty of non religious folks who do that. So religion is not the only way to get there. But I have seen enough to know that religious faith does work for those who sincerely follow it.

Maureen Dow had the temerity in her weekend op ed of bring up the "warm, nurturing Catholic Church of [her] youth..." Dowd can live however she likes. That is her choice. But she can spare me on giving a lecture about Catholicism. She left that a long time ago.

Darcy said...

Loved this, Michael.

I know of the couple you're writing about and the filling in of their story makes me smile.

I didn't doubt the idea that love can be found through the internet at all. When people scoff at this, I think of the prospective lovers who used to have to write long letters to each other from a distance. No telephones. The internet can be like this, I believe. And you can learn a lot through a person's writings.

You can also be fooled, though. Always a danger in that, even meeting face to face.

Michael Haz said...

Trooper, thanks very much for indulging my long comment on the other thread, and then front-paging it here!

I never expected that result; in fact when I finished writing my comment my only thought was "Meh, I'm the most boring, long-winded commenter on this blog. This'll be a thread-killer."

And thanks to the gang for their compliments on both threads.

ndspinelli said...

Michael Haz, You need a Stuart Smalley intervention. Look in the mirror every morning w/ this daily affirmation: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it..people like me."

Chip S. said...

spinelli, Don't mistake humility for insecurity.

blake said...

I guess I'm conditioned by some other blogs because I loved Michael's comment (read it twice) and still didn't expect it to be front-paged.

Heh.

ndspinelli said...

ChipS, The 2 are often intertwined and based on Michael's comment I think the daily affirmation was warranted. When someone calls themself "longwinded" and a "thread killer" it's time for Stuart Smalley's daily affirmation. Because, Michael Haz is neither of those things.

Michael Haz said...

Okay Spin, time to let go of it.

ricpic said...

Problem solved for me since I can't hardly remember yesterday. That may seem like a wiseguy comment but I really mean it. Tomorrow's always been my concern. There's nothing wrong with indulging in nostalgia every now and then but I don't see how living (well, my definition of living) is possible for someone who is not future oriented.